Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Sally Hansen Triple Shine Limited Edition Palm Beach Jellies

Before I start talking too in depth about this collection, I'll first say that I don't own any other jelly polishes, this is my first experience with them, so I can't compare them to any other brands. 
There seems to be a lot of interest in this collection, so I wanted to be as quick as I could be to get this review posted without being too early, since these polishes aren't technically being released until May. The good news is that there have been sightings of them in some stores already, so you may get lucky and find them if you are interested. 
To keep from sounding like a broken record when describing each shade, I will say that the first thing I noticed is that these are very sheer, first coat is completely clear, and I felt like I needed three coats to achieve any sort of color on my bare nails. The next thing is that although these are sheer they are kind of thick, so you need to be careful and let each coat dry before adding the next, they dry pretty quick, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
I also noticed that the three pink toned colors look fairly similar on the nail, so you may not need all of them, but I will say that Water Melom was the most pigmented. 

For all of my swatches I used 3 coats. 
Jell-ous is a rosy pink.

Water Melon is more cool toned pink, but it is the most pigmented of the entire collection.

Vitamin D-Light is a peachy pink, a quick note, this looks orange in the bottle, but as you can see does not show up this way on the nail. 

Here are all the pinks side by side so you can compare how similar they are.

Sea Through is mint green.

Ice Mint is robin egg blue.

Grape Jelly is lilac purple.

I was curious to see how these would look layered over white, I used Sensationail White Lily as my base and once again I used three coats for all my swatches. You can click the pictures to enlarge them to get a closer look. 

Jell-ous
Water Melon
Vitamin D-Light
Sea Through
Ice Mint

Grape Jelly

I was on the fence with how I felt about these when I first began swatching them on my bare nails, but you can tell that layering these over white really enhanced them dramatically and I really liked them much better this way, they look like lovely pastel spring colors. 

Now onto some other ways you can wear these polishes since some of you may be wondering what exactly to do with them 


This is a watercolor manicure I decided to try after seeing so many of them being done by some of the wonderful ladies in the beauty/nail polish blogging world. It was so simple to do, I started with my white base again, and applied different colors on random sections of my nails and let some of them overlap to create a watercolor effect. 

Here is another manicure I decided to try out, which is called the LeadLight technique , here is a video from the creator of this look. This really looks like stained glass window. I started with a base of Sensationail White Lily, I stamped using Wet 'N' Wild black creme with plate BM-208, then using a dotting tool, I colored in the bare space using a dabbing motion.  On another note, I needed to go over each area twice and I think I was a bit heavy handed, which resulted in some bubbling, but in real life, you couldn't really tell as much as you can in this up close picture. 

I was excited to try a jelly sandwich manicure, which is layering glitter polish between several coats of a jelly polish,  which should look like the glitter is suspended in the polish, unfortunately it just didn't work with these polishes because they are just too darn sheer, it just looks like a regular glitter polish, topped with a clear top coat, which is still very pretty, but not the look I was going for. I also felt like I had way too many layers of polish on my nails, I had the two coats of white, three coats of Sally Hansen Grape Jelly, one coat of L.A. Girl Splatter, then topped with three more coats of Grape Jelly. I needed to be extremely patient and let each coat completely dry, it was just too much work for such a simple look. 



This collection may not be for everyone, but there are some really fun manicures you can do if you get a little creative. They have certainly grown on me and I have enjoyed creating a few manicures I have never had the chance to do before.





Disclaimer: I was not financially compensated  for this post. I received a sample for review purposes. The opinions are completely my own, based on my experience


No comments:

Post a Comment